Casualty of Capitalism

Exiled into Wilmington, Delaware by virtue of corporate layoffs. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2005, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

Graduate of University of Maryland School of Law; University of Maryland, College Park (Economics/Political Science).

Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Horror!

I can already feel the uncontrollable shuddering and sweating of withdraw coming on...

Baseball players consume sunflower seeds faster than Humvees gulp gas. And around the national pastime, from Little League to the bigs, munching salty roasted seeds and spitting shells has caught up with peanuts, popcorn and Cracker Jack. (And, once, chewing tobacco.)

But here's the bad news for baseball: "Supplies are going to be very short," says John Sandbakken, director of international marketing at the National Sunflower Association in Bismarck, N.D. "The warehouses will be cleaned out and whatever is marketed will be all sold. . . . Potentially, [stores] could run out."

I always played ball with a wad of seeds in my mouth. Every time I took my position at third base. Every time I prepared to step into the batter's box. I resembled Lenny Dykstra, but with seeds rather than chaw. Dykstra once said his bulging cheek helped him see the ball better. I took that to heart, using seeds. Based on my career batting average, I think it had to have been the tobbacco, not the potruding cheek.

I sucked on seeds until the inside of my mouth shriveled and peeled off. Even today, a round of golf isn't complete without some sunflower seeds to spit as I play (don't worry, I don't spit them on the greens). Luckily, I still have a big bag of precious seeds left over from my disastrous return to baseball last year (after a 13 year layoff).

Oh, the humanity! What is spring with some seed spittin'?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home