Casualty of Capitalism

Exiled into Wilmington, Delaware by virtue of corporate layoffs. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2005, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

Graduate of University of Maryland School of Law; University of Maryland, College Park (Economics/Political Science).

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Potentially the Biggest News in DC Since the Return of Joe Gibbs

According to numerous sources, the District will find out whether it gets the Expos by Oct. 1, though the earlier part of next week is more likely. "That's the right timeline," said a highly placed baseball source.

I've told most people who have asked me whether the Expos would end up in DC that the longer this process takes, the less likely the Montreal/Monterrey/San Juan Expos or any other team will end up in our Nation's Capital. Why? Well, most people know how I feel about Orioles owner Peter Angelos, greedy trial lawyer extraordinaire (guess I won't be getting a job at the Angelos law firm). But it's close. Real close.

Unfortunately, I still won't believe it 'til I see. Come on, I'm a Maryland basketball fan. I've seen 10 points in 56 seconds. I typically expect the rug to be pulled out from under my teams. I'll be first in line for a DC Expos (Senators) jersey...once I'm employed. But again, I won't get excited until I see former used car salesman Bud Selig's smarmy face making the official announcement, DC Mayor Anthony Williams at his side, that the Expos are in face moving to Washington, DC (not Northern Virginia or some other undeserving area). At present, as far as I'm concerned, even San Juan has a better chance of getting the team than DC. Besides, who knows what sort of trick Angelos will pull to sabotage the affair?

Back to Boswell's article. We have Joe Gibbs back. Lord, can we please have the Squire back?

Also, things seemed pretty serious the day the late Jack Kent Cooke told his secretary to get the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates on the phone. "So, how much do you want for that team?" bellowed Cooke as I listened.

RIP, Jack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home