Casualty of Capitalism

Exiled into Wilmington, Delaware by virtue of corporate layoffs. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2005, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

Graduate of University of Maryland School of Law; University of Maryland, College Park (Economics/Political Science).

Saturday, February 26, 2005

'Dynamite' Terps

Please don't forget to read my ACC Basketblog column this week. The Terps are a constant source of frustration. As my recent columns have noted, to get your arms around this year's squad requires more knowledge of psychology than basketball strategy. Here is a taste from my column:

I nearly spit out my coffee this morning when I read this statement from Maryland's anguished starting point guard:

"I don't know how everybody else feels, but it's just a game," [Terps G John Gilchrist] said. "It always should be a fun thing. It's not like you walk out on the floor and it's like, 'I must win this game' or 'We need to go to the NCAA tournament.' Putting all this pressure on it, it's downright silly, in my opinion."

[Insert spit take here.]

Having fun is for the non-scholarship players in Division III basketball. If you get a free ride to an ACC school, you damn straight better feel like each game is a "must win" and that you "need to go to the NCAA tournament." What is Gilchrist talking about?

Gary Williams is not amused by his team's inconsistancy. Personally, regardless of his talent level, I think G John Gilchrist has to go after this season ends. His antics and lack of team mentality are the cancer destroying this team. Rather than having his head in Maryland's games, it is somewhere on an NBA court. Let's hope his body joins it next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home