Casualty of Capitalism

Exiled into Wilmington, Delaware by virtue of corporate layoffs. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2005, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Name:
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States

Graduate of University of Maryland School of Law; University of Maryland, College Park (Economics/Political Science).

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Today's View From the Unemployment Line

Sorry for the lack of posting the last couple of days. I had an out of town interview and a lot of holiday-related things to catch up on. 'Tis the season.

This weekend, some real excitement. I am attending my first Packers game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI. I purposely targeted December for purchasing tickets because I wanted the real experience, the "Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field" experience. Boy, did I pick the right game! At the time of this writing, the forecast high temperature is supposed to reach only 9F degrees, with gusty winds of 10-20 mph. Not too long ago, I bought myself a nice set of Carhartt coveralls, underneath which I will be wearing my puffy North Face coat, and layer after layer of thermal undies. I will also likely be layering my stomach with some hard hot chocolate for most of the day.

With a Florida team, the Jacksonville Jaguars as the opponent, Packers QB Brett Favre should have a field day. It's not too often that he loses when the temperature is below freezing at home. There should be plenty to blog about when I return, provided I haven't lost all of my fingers to frostbite.

While I'm gone, please read Charles Krauthammer's latest piece on the loss of the "Christ" part of Christmas.

To insist that the overwhelming majority of this country stifle its religious impulses in public so that minorities can feel "comfortable" not only understandably enrages the majority but commits two sins. The first is profound ungenerosity toward a majority of fellow citizens who have shown such generosity of spirit toward minority religions.

The second is the sin of incomprehension -- a failure to appreciate the uniqueness of the communal American religious experience. Unlike, for example, the famously tolerant Ottoman Empire or the generally tolerant Europe of today, the United States does not merely allow minority religions to exist at its sufferance. It celebrates and welcomes and honors them.

And for a good laugh, the Washington Times actually printed a letter to the editor I wrote on the DC baseball fiasco. Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home